Yellow Light Installation

Unlike the other lights I made, this one wasn’t a pendant light, so installing it into the exhibition space was a little more difficult.


I stared by drilling a hole into the temporary walls, and fed the cut plug wire through it from the other side, so that I could solder it on the spot. Due to the height and the length of the cable, it was a bit of a challenge getting it to work comfortably.

I had to make sure that the shrinkwrap fit back through the hole safely, then that the keyhole slot fit over the screw head, which I painted yellow to match better with the acrylic.


Show Build

To prepare for hanging the lights, I had help measuring the space and finding three long beams that would fit the area in a ‘TT’ shape, with the longest across the open front and the other two leading to the back. On my side of the space I had 5 extra, smaller, pieces cut, so that I could have an individual bar for each one to hang from. I used coaxical cable hooks, since they were the perfect size, to secure the cables in place. I had considered drilling holes through the beams, but I decided against it because that way I would have had to solder the two types of wire together in situe, and it could look messy if any unpainted wood is visible through the hole. The cables are hidden on the upper side of the beams and then trail down behind the wall to be connected to mains supply.

Although I had initially imagined having a ceiling for my lighting to hang from, I am actually pretty satisfied with how my exhibition space has turned out. The bars allowed for more experimentation with depth and height that the commitment of drilling a hole through a board would not have allowed. Playing around a little with the depth allowed me to experiment with how the different lights will look with their light effects intermingling and merging together at the edges.

As long as the windows behind the faux walls are boarded up and the area is dark enough, I am satisfied with how it will look; the shadows are visible even when it is just average-levels of darkness.


Yellow Light

Gluing the angelina fibre to the base plate of the light was fairly simple as long as was careful not to move it while it was drying, and took it slow with sections at a time. I was a little dissapointed with the way the glue looks between the two outer layers; it’s much more visible than I had thought it would be, although most of the visibility is lost with the texture of the angelina fibre behind it, and its invisible when lit.

I misjudged the exact location of he keyhole slot when gluing the two bases together, so in order for he screw head to fit through, I had to use a dremmel to get rid of the overlapped parts. In future, I will be more careful when gluing the two plates together.

In order to keep the LED in place, I used hot glue and manipulated the legs so that they were comfortably within the glue, leaving them bare so that I could tin them and attach them to the plug directly. Unfortunately, soon after I fixed this in place, the leg of the LED came out and I had to redo the whole process over again.


Light and Shadows

Usually when discussing light and shadows within the art world, the word ‘chiaroscuro’ comes to mind. This describes the relationship between a shaded part of an object and the lit part of an object, usually when drawing, or taking a photograph. It is used to emphasise the 3D space and create atmosphere. The way this technique is used can create some very stark and dramatic imagery, but I wanted to explore more in a 3D, real-life setting.

Using a light source, I have played around with different materials and shapes and forms, experimenting with the shadows that they cast on their surroundings, and how the shadows move depending on the movement of the light source. Using a lot of translucent materials, the shadows that I can create are very varied and colourful, and suspended from a point means that they are free to spin and move about, so the shadows they create move about with them. The fact that they are also 3Dobjects means that the form of the shadows is also constantly changing.


shop screenshot

A screenshot of my online shop in progress. I still need to edit some things from the template (although luckily it was pretty much perfect for my aesthetic already) and take some higher quality photographs of my work.

The title bar gradually changes colour which is perfect for me since the materials I like to work with are iridescent.

The preset shop was originally selling slime so there are several things which I need to change, such as warnings for borax- I will consider making alternative, more relevant, icons at a later date.


bought these plugs without checking what I needed to use because I thought the transparent casing would match well with the aesthetic of the lights, but unfortunately the LEDS I’m using are incompatible with them. I need to use a 12v adaptor plug, so I need to buy some of those quickly. I’m quite frustrated because there doesn’t seem to be any adaptor plugs which are transparent, or even any with removable casings like this, only black ones which are made not to be taken apart.

Yellow Dome Light

With the second layer cut and encircling the first my work is well on its way to being half finished.

I think the dusty atmosphere in the workshop I was using was not beneficial to the fusion of the acrylic layers, so they don’t quite match up perfectly. It still holds, but its not as tight as id like it to be, yet its too tight to remove by itself, so unless I break it off and cut a new one (which I can’t because I don’t have the time to buy a new sheet) I will just have to try and make it as tight a fit as I can by bending it bit by bit so that at least the connection point is more flush. Then I can glue the two pieces together so they don’t move around as much.