Iridescent Film

Using the vacuum former, I fused some iridescent film to the surface of some clear acrylic. I also used a fabric foil, but that wasn’t as successful, and didn’t fuse to the surface at all, and only stayed between the two sheets that fused together. The more opaque, thicker ones seemed to work better, fixing to the perspex more easily, whereas the translucent one peeled away easily once it had cooled down.

I am really fond of the texture that formed due to the heat. The high temperature caused the film to shrink and wrinkle as it fused to the acrylic, creating what looks to me like a kind of dragon skin effect, with all of the bubbles and jagged lines. The most striking is the blue-green film, but I prefer the subtler effects of the other two films, as they might not detract so much from a sculptural piece. The blue green, I feel, is meant to be the focal point of an artwork, not a contributing factor.

A problem I found while making these, is that the gloves I have been using to hold these and form them before they cool, are from the metal department, and are therefore filthy. This is obviously not important when working with metal, as is their intended use, but I may have to look into getting heat proof gloves of my own to prevent y work from getting dirty.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s