Using illustrator I created a file to cut out the basic design of the lampshades that I would use. The flower shape in the top left corner was scrapped, and I stayed with the plan on the right to form my lapshades, as it makes it easier to fix together at the top.
Following the plan, I made a second set, with a set of testers to try out different types of patters. There is a mixture of raster engraving and vector cutting, one or the other or both at the same time. I wanted to see what the petals look like with these patterns on, so I put the patterns over the template of those in a variety of ways. I tested out top heavy and bottom heavy arrangements of flowers, and combinations of cutting and engraving.
I also started to plan a top fitting for the flower lampshades, to link the petals part to the light fitting itself.