When it’s switched on in an already well lit space, it looks pretty and ethereal, the pink and turquoise shadows that it casts make for a pretty atmosphere. During the day when it is not needed it would make a stunning ornamental fixture in a room; daylight makes it shine like a gem. I’m happy with how the baby pink cable complements the main piece of work; a plain black cable would not have done it justice as a whole.
When the light is switched off it changes the aura completely- the darkness emphasises the mysterious otherworldly quality to the shadows, making the shapes more prominent. Being lit from within makes the colours of the iridescent acrylic change to a more vibrant hue.
It looks stunning in the dark by itself.
I think this light would be fairly easy to adapt to being a lightshade that would be compatible with many different types of mains lighting, which would make it more accessible, reducing the price (a little).
I made the basic shape of the upper hemisphere first, using the rice ball former from before, as it reduces the amount of time needed to form it. Once that shape was mostly complete, I soldered in the LED, to make it easier. It would be more difficult to attach the LED once it is fully complete, but there are some holes big enough that it would still be possible.
Joining the two halves together, making sure its structurally sound. At first I was worried that the upper half would be unable to take the weight of the lower half, but the more I worked each part around each other, the more stable it became. It was actually able to take the weight fairly early on, with only a little bowing and movement when it hung versus being sat on the table, but I wanted to make it as well connected as possible.
I tried to make it fairly spherical and even, but I like that it is not completely perfect because that would detract from the organic appearance.
The led is very well hidden because of how busy the surface is, people said that if they didnt know it was there they wouldn’t have seen it at all when not lit up.
Above- testing how the length of the LED hangs inside the light, before committing to fixing the two halves together.
Previously, I had only tested this light in an already well lit space, so while I knew the effect the LED would have on the acrylic itself, with the glowing diffusion line along the curved edges of the material, I had not been prepared for the atmosphere in the room. The shadows the acrylic cast in the area were a lot stronger than I had expected, and spiralled around the space in a vortex. The spokes of light from the refracted light added to the sparkle of the room.
The light that the LED gives off is slightly blue in hue, and this shows up well on camera. Compared to my other lights, this has a much more subtle effect, and I hope that it doesn’t get overshadowed by the bright colours when sat next to each other.
Another point of interest is having the form laid on its side; since the wire I chose holds its form when moved around, the light source stays in the same place when in other positions other than hanging. I quite like the effect this has in changing the surroundings.
This light would also make a lovely ornamental piece when not switched on, especially if placed in an area with natural daylight.
The most obvious choice for this and some of my other pink/iridescent lights is that it should go into a young girl’s bedroom, which is not wrong, but I would like to try and express that it can go in an adult’s room as well.
Its upsetting how the camera really doesn’t do this light justice, so I will need to borrow a higher quality camera to see how that helps. In person, this light creates a warm glow,thanks to the pink angelina fibre, and casts beautiful shadows on the floor and walls.
I think I could easily modify this design in the future to create a table lamp version, or even a wall mounted version.
I started calling this light ‘Fl(orb) Light’ in my head as a joke and now it has stuck.
Trying out different types of wire to be used in the clear twisted light. The thin copper wire was causing issues with the shrinkwrap in that it looked messy only covering the LED legs and connection points, and the colour didn’t match up well with the cable, which has silver glitter woven into it. I found some silver, regular wire, which was non-insulated, of different thicknesses. This solved the problem of it looking messy, since I had to use the clear shrinkwrap over the entire length, and was less concerned about the possibility of it breaking off.
I chose to use the thicker wire. It’s stronger, so it is a little more poseable, and hangs in a straighter line than the thinner wire, which was pulled into odd lines because of the way the shrinkwrap clung to it.
Trial & Error-ing the second layer was a little easier the second time around, although I ran into a different set of problems. The heat from the second layer was affecting the first one, causing it to relax it’s shape a little as time went on, so that when removed from the former it doesn’t stay fixed together. I will remake the first layer to solve this problem. Also, the high temperatures were causing the two sheets to fuse together, which is ideal for the final product, but in order to test, it meant that I had to use a chisel to remove them.
The final cuts.
Testing the way the acrylic hangs off the weight bearing connector. It hangs mostly straight, which I am pleased about, but I am unsure how to glue it together without it looking messy, and am starting to think that it is stable enough not to need glue at all.
I do think that its final appearance is a little disappointing, but this may be because I am comparing it to other light I have made which are all a lot more colourful and intricate than this one. I will have to wait and see how I feel when the light is inside it.